Friday, August 29, 2025
Eire Now
  • Home
  • Politics News
  • Business News
  • Lifestyle News
  • Travel News
  • Contact
  • About Us
No Result
View All Result
Eire Now
Home International News

Tragedy Strikes Minneapolis as Gunman Kills Two Children in School Shooting

Editor in Chief by Editor in Chief
August 28, 2025
in International News, US News
Reading Time: 2 mins read
A A
0
us police
106
SHARES
531
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Whatsapp

MINNEAPOLIS – A gunman opened fire on schoolchildren attending a morning Mass at a Minneapolis Catholic school on Wednesday, killing two children and injuring 17 other people before dying by suicide, authorities said.

The children killed were an eight-year-old and a ten-year-old. The shooting occurred at Annunciation Catholic school, a private elementary school in a residential area of southeast Minneapolis, just two days after the new school year began.

According to Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara, the assailant, identified as Robin Westman, 23, fired through the school’s chapel windows at students who were sitting in pews. The chief described the attack as an “incomprehensible” act of “cruelty and cowardice.”

The shooter was found dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound and was armed with a rifle, a shotgun, and a pistol. O’Hara noted that some of the chapel doors had been barricaded from the outside with planks. Officials said Westman had no extensive criminal history.

FBI Director Kash Patel stated that the case is being investigated as an act of domestic terrorism and a hate crime targeting Catholics. Public records indicate that Westman’s mother had previously worked as an administrative assistant at Annunciation Church.

Local hospitals confirmed they were treating 15 children and two adults, with many suffering from gunshot wounds. Officials also found a smoke bomb at the scene and were searching a vehicle in the parking lot. Law enforcement is also investigating multiple online videos to determine if they were posted by the shooter.

The shooting brings the number of school shootings in the U.S. this year to more than 140, according to the K-12 School Shooting Database.

Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey, visibly angry at a news conference, urged for action beyond “thoughts and prayers,” saying, “These kids were literally praying. It was the first week of school. They were in a church.”

U.S. President Donald Trump has been briefed on the situation, and the Department of Homeland Security is monitoring the events. The shooting does not appear to be related to three other shootings that occurred in the city since yesterday, which left three people dead and seven wounded.

The tragedy comes after a separate incident of political violence in Minnesota in June, where a gunman allegedly assassinated a state politician and her husband. Despite a state law requiring background checks for all gun sales, Minnesota’s gun death rate is below the national average, according to the gun violence prevention group Everytown for Gun Safety.

Tags: Annunciation Catholic SchoolCrimeDomestic TerrorismGun Violencehate crimeMass ShootingMinneapolisSchool ShootingUnited States
Previous Post

Sligo Hospital Imposes Visitor Restrictions Amid Covid-19 Outbreak

Next Post

Status Yellow Rain Warning in Effect for Six Western Counties

Next Post
ireland rain

Status Yellow Rain Warning in Effect for Six Western Counties

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I agree to the Terms & Conditions and Privacy Policy.

RECOMMENDED NEWS

Surge in Appeals by Asylum Seekers in Ireland

Surge in Appeals by Asylum Seekers in Ireland: A 900% Increase Since 2017

4 months ago
542
St Bernadette's Relics

Cathedral of Sligo Welcomes St Bernadette’s Relics in Grand Ceremony Today

11 months ago
550
Tragedy in Killarney: Man in His 20s Dies in River Flesk Swimming Accident

Missing Sligo Teen Found Safe and Well

5 days ago
531
Ireland's General Election

Ireland’s General Election: A Tight Three-Way Race

9 months ago
538

Recent Posts

  • New Twist in Kyran Durnin Case as Gardaí Renew Appeal a Year After Disappearance
  • 64-Year-Old Sligo Man Charged with Child Sexual Abuse Material Possession
  • Kerry Tax Expert Highlights Missed Opportunity to Earn €14,000 Tax-Free Annually
  • Ollie Horgan ‘True Pillar’ of Irish Football Dies at 57
  • Essential Water Mains Upgrades Begin in Carrowmore and Grange East

Recent Comments

  1. localeadmin on Cancelled Wild Roots Festival Leaves Fans Out of Pocket – No Refunds!
  2. Mandie Galbraith on Cancelled Wild Roots Festival Leaves Fans Out of Pocket – No Refunds!

Stay informed with EireNow.news, your go-to platform for comprehensive coverage on regional events, politics, culture, business, and more.

Follow us on social media:

  • About Us
  • Advertise
  • Careers
  • Disclaimer
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of Service
  • Contact Eire Now

© 2025 Eire Now

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • Politics News
  • Local News
  • Business News
  • National News
  • Sports News
  • Lifestyle News
  • Travel News

© 2025 Eire Now

This website uses cookies. By continuing to use this website you are giving consent to cookies being used. Visit our Privacy and Cookie Policy.